You have every right to drive a car. But should I have to pay for you to drive?
If you are over 65, under 33, or telecommute, you probably are subsidizing car-lovers driving to the mall. In my family, we have all three kinds of people. Do we really need the elderly, the young and the job-creators subsidizing people driving around?
All forms of transportation are subsidized. But cars are now being subsidized more than trains. So I have to pay for you to drive, while you pay much less for me to take a train.
Two decades ago, drivers paid 75% of the cost of highways. Today they/you pay just 51%. Us taxpayers pay the other half (49%). Meanwhile, us train riders pay 63% of the cost. You just pay 37%.
If you want to drive, fine, but pay for it. And if I want to take the train, we ought to get the same percentage of subsidy that car-lovers get. What do you think car lovers?